Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Yes!

I am very pouty. I've run out of both sugar and milk, thus tomorrow morning will be coffee free.

However, my K1 class today was amazing. For reasons beyond my ken, I am teaching them to read. I'm their speaking teacher and they have another reading teacher. So naturally, I'm spending a month teaching them beginner readers. Makes perfect sense.

However, we've been reading away for a couple of weeks now. At first, it took ages just to get them to understand that they had to look at the words on the page. Slowly, it seemed to occur to them that maybe all these letters might just be important and today we jumped a big hurdle. They had come to recognise the word in, though more through memorizing it with the tapes they have to listen to along with the books at home. Today's story had the word inside and the momment I covered up the side with my finger, Jain suddenly got it. Once she was reading in and trying to sound out the rest, the boys followed suit.

They were blatantly a bit bemused by my incredible excitement at the developement but soon joined in the party atmosphere. We ended the class with some dancing along to their CD of English songs, which is always a crowd pleaser.

It was a good day.

2 comments:

MsTypo said...

It's always great when kids finally "get it." :)

I completely agree with you that the way someone is attired is no reason to treat them poorly be that groping them or maligning their character. Both of which happen from time to time here. I would never insult my egyptian hosts in general but have no problem telling someone where to go if they approach me or parts of my anatomy uninvited.

I've been amazed at the reaction my post today illicited. Thank you so much for your thoughtful response. :)

Unknown said...

Came here via your response on TypO's blog :)

We have been in Korea for two years a while back.
The only reaction I got from the older female ladies on the market in our village was that I should cover myself while wearing a tank top because of a sun burn. :)

Kuwait is a whole different can of worms. You can run around in an old potato sack, they'll still hit on you :(

Regarding your blog post, it must be awesome to see progress in kids like that. I can only imagine how it must feel :)

Cheers from Hungary, Nicole
http://nicoleb.org/b2/