Sunday, December 21, 2008

Traditions

A Sunday Scribblings post, only three weeks late. It's like most writing I have done in life - essays, belated birthday cards. Late. Which turns out to be this week's topic, so conveniently, with one sentence, I've managed to catch back up!

I was thinking a lot about the traditions prompt, but it's taken me awhile to come up with something to say. The thing about being an expat is that you generally have to leave behind a lot of the traditions you started back in your home country. I spent Canadian Thanksgiving eating galbi and singing cheesy songs at norae bang, for example.

My family has lots of interesting traditions. There's the naming thing - boys only get one middle name, but somehow all the girls get two. There's the British foods that we still all eat - like coddled eggs, which even the British have barely heard of these days. My egg coddlers may not be with me here in Korea, but I wouldn't be a part of the family if I didn't own a few. I'm hoping that the tradition of how the roll-top desk gets passed on continues, because I'm pretty sure I've got that one in the bag. There's the familiar socks and underwear tradition - and since my mother is quite honest on the customs forms, I know that one is being followed this year.

However, traditions don't have to have been around since childhood to be important. For the last two years, I've gone to Geckos for Christmas dinner. The turkey is good and the company has always been great. Each year I've gone with different people - Korea is a revolving door for teachers and army and those few other people here doing something different. It's the company that makes it special though - the first year I was there with Vanessa and Sheila and crew and the second with Samarra and Brain. I anticipate this year's being great too.

As much as I will miss everyone back home and all the things I recall doing for the holidays with them, tradition doesn't have to end when you are far from home.

6 comments:

Roan said...

Great way to play catch up! I agree traditions are not necessarily years old. We start new traditions almost every year. Enjoyable post!

LSL said...

I have a lot of memories of weird holidays overseas. It's true that they're all meaningful in new ways . . . I hope you have a nice Christmas!

MsTypo said...

Hubby and i have had to change our traditions based on where we lived. Our big expat tradition is that we go away to an island for christmas. Well, it used to be beach and an island but we had to compromise this year. LOL

Andy Sewina said...

So true, you can often find like minded people and if you want to follow your own traditional Christmas I'm sure you can in Korea. We have a friend in Seoul and my son's just gone to China for Crimbo!
Have a good one - whatever you do...

Tumblewords: said...

Great catch up - traditions seem to change in tiny bits anyway, I think.

Gel said...

It's never too "late" to write. :)
I enjoyed reading of various traditions. We also practice ones that are not from our childhood.
Best holiday wishes to you!