Monday, September 25, 2006

Words

It’s a meme I snagged from Frog. She gave four words and we are to write something about each of them. If you want to play, your words are: bamboo, rice, tiger, and calm (yep, there is a Korean theme there). Please leave me a comment if you're up for the challenge!

squeegee: Since I still don't have a license (I know, I know!), my only real association with sqeegees was reading about the debates over squeegee kids in Toronto. Of all the places I have lived, I have noticed the most begging in Edinburgh and Vancouver. The least is probably here in Korea, where you occassionally see begging by disabled people. Generally they ride along the ground on what looks like a board on small wheels, lying down, with music playing. Occassionally you get people on subway trains who ask for money by putting cards of writing on the laps of riders and then collecting them again, preferable along with some money.

ridiculous: Many things are ridiculous, but the most stunning examples of ridiculousness have been provided to me by my boss over the last five months. For example, did you know that North Americans NEVER check the internet for personal business during working hours? That North American teachers would NEVER lean on desks when teaching? That all North Americans have horrible handwriting? Ah, the gems of wisdom from the Jooster.

muffin: Muffins are difficult when you spend time living in both North America and Britain. In Canada, there are muffins and English muffins. In Scotland there are American muffins and muffins. Here in Korea, there isn't much in the way of muffins at all!

rhinoceros: I last saw one in the flesh was when the ex and I went to the Edinburgh Zoo. He took some really amazing pictures of rhinos. The zoo is extremely hilly and they have a penguin walk, where the penguins are allowed out of their enclosure for a little parade. The first time it happened it was unintenional, now they do it as a tourist attraction.

No comments: