Sunday, September 10, 2006

The Smell of Smoke and the Feel of Sunshine

Is it weird that my apartment smells like smoke and I like it? James was over and smoked at the window and there is just a nice wiff of smoke in here right now. I also like the smell of smoke when I go to bars - I don't actually think that smoking bans make bars/pubs/clubs better. For me, that smell is just part of the experience. And while I don't love the smell lingering on my clothes, it doesn't take that long for them to air out. Granted, I have to admit that I do smoke the odd cig myself. Not often (like maybe once a month?) and not many, but there it is. And that idea that kissing a smoker is like licking an ashtray is silly too. It isn't unpleasant at all.

Anyway, it's been a good weekend. Pedro's party last night was really fun. I think I attempted to salsa. I really wish I knew how and I love the music. I was amused to see that YunJin and I were the only non-military at the party at the beginning and that the tequila was being shot with salt substitute. And I have never seen such a large amount of Vanilla Rum. Pedro is well stocked, should anyone have a vanilla rum shortage. Speaking of drink, there is a $3 bottle of gin in HomePlus. It can't possibly be any good!

Then, James came over today. We went to Outback and had steak. Which is weird for me, because I have never been a fan of steak. I was a vegetarian largely because I didn't really like meat for a long time. I certainly can't claim that now!

Fall is here in Korea, thank god. The hot weather has broken - it's now a tiny bit chilly sometimes and the nights are definitely cold. This is my favourite kind of weather - sunny and warm enough to walk around in a skirt and t-shirt, but not so hot as to be uncomfortable.

Sun is wonderful. I think after three years in Scotland and a year in Vancouver, I appreciate it more than most. It is remarkable how much of an affect it has on my mood. People seem to think I am crazy for not putting up any curtains/blinds, but I actually love waking up with the sun in my face. Always have, actually. I always used to open my blinds at night before I fell asleep. Besides, how would I ever manage to put up curtains??? The walls are cement, I don't own any tools (though chopsticks can be very multipurpose items, I have discovered), and really, I am far too lazy to try and figure it all out. Especially since no one can particularly see in and I like having the sun pouring in the room at all times anyway.

I am eating real Cheetos. With proper cheesy taste. James is amazing.

No comments: