Friday, October 10, 2008

Teachers

Apparently it was World Teachers Day last Sunday. I had no idea, though Korea has its own Teachers Day in the spring.

My most influential teacher without a doubt was Mr. Ruddy. He taught history in a room filled with art posters on the wall and candles. It was obvious how much he cared about his students and after I graduated, we went out for a series of lunches when I've found myself in Canada and exchanged a bunch of postcards. Mr. Milburn, affectionately known as Uncle Milby, was also a great chemistry teacher who almost had me abandon the liberal arts for science. And then there was my English teacher Ms. Adele - I hated her with a passion, but she was likely very good for me.

In elementary school, there was the forth grade teacher who taught us words of Swahili and encouraged us to paint and my second grade teacher who I don't recall overly well but I recall adoring.

No comments: