Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Arigato

Today I just started teaching five third-grade boys who are Japanese and speak no English. We are presently covering the alphabet and letter sounds. I am going to have to come up with some interesting games to keep this flowing - however, they are cheerful and well-behaved, so I'm sure it will be fine. And I only see them once a week. They don't really speak Korean, either, so thus far communication has been interesting. They catch the odd word of Korean, the odd word of English and from there on in we mime like mad. It'll be fun.

I have noticed a few times that when cabs drive by the American army base, the GPS just shows this gigantic blank space. How odd to be denied knowledge of part of your own country. I live along the side of the army base and basically drive around it in cabs to get to and from work (must start taking the subway soon, as I'm spending far too much on cabs, but the broken toe is the perfect excuse for laziness.)

The toe hurts like fuck today. Monday and Tuesday were fine, but today has just taken all my energy to get through. Thank maude Friday's a holiday.

No comments: