Thursday, June 18, 2009

Children Have Complex Thoughts!

That makes me sound like an asshole, I know. However, when you teach ESL to low level students, it's easy to forget that younger children do have complex thoughts that they merely lack the vocabulary (and in Korea, the time) to express them. I remember going home last year and staring at my three year old niece like she was some sort of alien or the next super genuis.

But now I have international school intensives. Sure I have to work between 9-9:30 (though I have a couple of breaks during that time, so I'm not actually working more than 9.5 hours a day), but my students can have real conversations! They can make connections between what they read and their lives or movies or whatever. It's soooooo fascinating to get to see that again!

Plus, I really like The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime and now I'm being paid to read it. Woot!

No comments: