Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Word of the Day

yegg \yeg\, noun:

a burglar who robs safes; safecracker
I seldom get Word of the Day emails with words I have never so much as heard of before. I like this one, though. I've been attempting to find an occasion to use it in conversation, but so far no love.
sidereal \sy-DEER-ee-uhl\, adjective:

measured or determined by the daily motion of the stars; of or having to do with the stars or constellations
Which explains why the site on the Internet where you can get links to streamed movies and TV shows is called Sidereel. Ahhhhh.... I like it when I can make geeky connections.

horripilation \haw-rip-uh-LAY-shuhn; ho-\, noun:

the act or process of the hair bristling on the skin, as from cold or fear; goose flesh
I just really like this word. Dunno why.
aquiline \AK-wuh-lyn; -lin\, adjective:

1. curved like an eagle's beak
2. of or like an eagle
While I have always understood what kind of nose this word describes, due to a Classical education and all those noses on the Roman Emperors, I had no idea there was a connection to eagles. Cool.
peregrination \pehr-uh-gruh-NAY-shun\, noun:

A traveling from place to place; a wandering.
This is my life! I love this word!
ubiquitous \yoo-BIK-wih-tuhs\, adjective:

Existing or being everywhere, or in all places, at the same time.
I can't see this word without having flashbacks to Poly School. They refer to themselves as been unique among the ubiquitous. I think it was the title of an article about the school that they had framed on the wall, or something.
faineant \fay-nay-AWN\, adjective:

1. Doing nothing or given to doing nothing; idle; lazy.
2. A do-nothing; an idle fellow; a sluggard.
Also incredibly apt as a description of my life. I had my nose all bent out of shape yesterday because I had to be at work at 1:30 p.m. to deal with the Internet banking/taxes thing, when I could have set my alarm for 1:30, since I didn't have to work until 3:30. And I probably would have!


***Hahahaha. I just ran spellcheck and it doesn't think that safecracker, horripilation or faineant are words! I copied them right from emails sent to me by a dictionary company! Hilarious!

No comments: