Thursday, April 26, 2007

Lucky

My recent reading has been rather sad, in general. The Known World is just one sad thing after another.

The Caged Virgin by Ayaan Hirsi Ali. It's written by a Muslim woman from Somalia who now lives in the Netherlands. I thought it was interesting, though I found it rather poorly written and argued, with a lot of repition. Basically, she contends that Islam will remain confined in the past until women are treated as equals. Rather disheartening read, though hopeful as well.

Lucky by Alice Sebold. So sad. So horrible. But a very important book to read. I feel like giving it to every man I know.

The only comic relief I've had came from plowing through a Reader's Digest and reading Oh the Things I Know by Al Franken. It's a pretend self-help book. Funny, but nothing too amusing. Didn't make me lol. (sorry, bit of inside joke aimed at Candace there.)

No comments: