Monday, November 13, 2006

How about a cold beer after work?

Or, a post about work.

One of my students, the cutest girl ever, who's in about grade 6 or so, asked me this when I entered the classroom on Friday. I am sure the look on my face was comical. She had a Korean-English phrasebook which is sure to continue to provide me with a great deal of hilarity. She was reading through it as I checked everyone's homework and suddenly said, "Selfish! What a great word!" Then she asked me how to pronounce assassination. Julie is one of my favourites because she so visibly loves to learn. She is always looking up new vocabulary words and she loves to talk to her teachers and other students in English.

I was watching a video on YouTube by a guy about why he gets out of bed in the morning all about his son. Beyond that is was cute and made me feel all weepy, it did make me ponder the question for myself. There was an interesting response by a younger guy that it's basically just to see what happens in the course of the day, kinda like checking your email to see what's there. And I thought that was very apt, but then I was posting this about Julie and realised...

Students like her are why I like my job. And one of the major reasons I get out of bed in the morning.

No comments: