Monday, February 22, 2010

Budging, Just Glacially Slowly

"Despite the best efforts of critics and the hopes of authors, our tastes in books are probably as inherent & unbudgeable as those in food." Alain de Botton

I'm not so sure about unbudgeable tastes, in food or books. Though I still don't like Tom Robbins, by the end of Jitterbug Perfume, it was growing on me. While I don't think I'll ever like Robbins, I find his novels interesting, and that seems worth the reading.

And I like brussel sprouts - a lot. I wouldn't have thought that was a budgeable taste, and yet it was. The older I get, the more I find I like food I once wouldn't have touched.

Thus, I will perservere with Robbins. I bought two of his books at the same time (they were used and when you see good used books, you have to go for it or they're gone), so I have one more. I think I also own another one at home.

It occurs to me that reading what I have would either save me money or have me lose out on discovering authors that it takes me a long time to grow into.

No comments: