Thursday, January 28, 2010

Oops - Daily Blogging Fail!

Apparently the two Koreas have been firing missiles at each other. I'd love to claim this is why I didn't post yesterday, but the truth is that I thought I'd be home in time to write on my blog and instead we won at trivia, drank a bottle of vodka and, knowing I had the day off, I stayed out quite late.

Which is why I have so little to say about today - I've mostly slept. Apparently when I got home last night, I turned off the heat. I can't recall doing it, but when I woke up this morning around 11, the apartment was freezing. I did the logical thing and tucked myself back under my blanket and took a nap. After the nap, I mostly pottered about and did nothing.

In the month of January, I intended to try and set myself a stricter budget. That failed horribly - in spite of the fact that I spent two weekends at home, doing almost nothing. I'm not entirely sure what the hell happened, though I suppose Busan was a bit of an expense and I was eating out for lunch every workday. Since there isn't anything under $5 except kimbap, that did add up to quite a lot. I did take the subway at least 50% of the time, so that was good. If I can keep that up and eat out less (which will happen inevitably, as I won't be working mornings), then hopefully February will prove to be cheaper.

February is also supposed to be the month that I look at eating healthier and join the gym again (post-vacation poverty and then Intensives have kept me away.) I went shopping on Tuesday and came back with a seriously large amount of fruits and vegetables - but then on Tuesday night I went out with Brian and folks and ate ribs at Sam Ryans. Traditionally, except the years I was a vegetarian, I've been much better at buying healthy food than I have been at eating it. Right now there is almost no junk food in the house - something I wasn't too pleased about when I was slightly hungover earlier today!

However, it's started off well. Yesterday I went out for Indian food for lunch and ate sushi for dinner. The big fail would be that breakfast was two cups of coffee and nothing else, though I switched to mint tea in the afternoon. I suspect I don't stay hydrated throughout the day and I'd like to improve that, too. Today I made myself two eggs and whole grain toast and then had cauliflower and carrot curry with yesterday's leftover sauce (sag and tikka masala), followed by a giant bowl of strawberries. Every year I'm surprised that strawberry season happens in winter here and not in the summer like back home, but I have no complaints - I love strawberries.

The gym plan will be put off by a day because we have a morning meeting on Monday and I am not a morning person. However, I'm off to buy new running shoes and glasses with Shawn tomorrow - in fact, I've been somewhat startled by my productivity this week. Finally fixing the shower head, grocery shopping, making it to the post office, and now finally buying new glasses, which I've needed for over a year. Granted, if we aren't paid in the morning I'll have to put it on my credit card, which further tanks the budgeting attempts.

It's occurred to me, what with finally fixing a shower head that I broke back before Christmas, that when people ask me about how much roughing it I do on various vacations, I should perhaps prefix my statements with one that covers the fact that I'm the kind of girl who wasn't especially annoyed to shower with a hose attached to the bathroom sink for over a month. I suspect my idea of what roughing it might entail isn't the same as others'.

No comments: