Wednesday, January 21, 2009

I'm not working on it

Grace over at What If No One's Watching? came up with a brilliant idea: a list of anti-resolutions. To counter all the bright, shiny goals of January with an acknowledgement that we aren't perfect and we aren't even aiming to be. So, here I am, embracing some of my flaws.

1. I wear glasses and have a lazy eye. I could have surgeries to correct both of these things - and here in Korea, they'd even be cheap. I'm not going to. I think I look good in glasses (contrary to the opinions of most other people). I might eventually get contacts because listening to Martha rave about scubadiving has made me start to think it's something I ought to do. However, my eyes are shite, I sometimes don't look like I'm looking at the people I'm talking to and yet that's the way it's going to stay.

2. I can't budget. I'm not going to even try. I can cut expenses so far and after that it seems to make me miserable. Maybe this is something that I might one day want to explore, but Korea isn't the place for years of therapy.

3. I will invite everyone I know along, all the time. I like people to feel invited and I am a more-the-merrier person. If I am told it drives someone nuts, I can stop for that person. But otherwise, I'm an inviting machine.

4. I only finish what I start about a quarter of the time. My follow through is severely lacking. I am a much better plan-maker than plan-doer. ~ this is Grace's and I'm stealing it because it's so true for me.

5. I am a drama queen. Not because I like drama, but I'm incredibly over-sensitive and put my foot in my mouth more regularly than I should. I'm not sure either of those things can be stopped, which is unfortunate because put together, they are a nightmare.

6. I fall hard when I fall. Regardless of whether or not it is wise.

7. I read or watch TV shows in an obsessive manner until I'm finished them, the way your average smoker takes a drag after a 24 hour flight.

8. If you grew up wealthy, I'm likely to take an unfair automatic dislike to you. ~ Also Grace's.

9. I bite my nails, and my cuticles.

10. I'm incredibly lazy.

11. I feel guilty easily.

12. I quite regularly don't answer my cell phone just because I don't feel like it.

13. I can not have a conversation without repeating myself 8 million times. It's because I often don't feel that I communicate at all well verbally. I just want you to get it, but I realise that it is annoying.

14. I interrupt because I can talk and listen at the same time and I assume that you can too. I'm sorry. It's very ingrained.

15. I am perpetually late. I always underestimate how long it will take me to get out of the house, find a cab, get there. I'm sorry. I can also fill every avaible minute that I have on what appear to be absolutely essential tasks while getting ready, whether I am forced to be ready in 15 minutes or I have several hours. I'm a putterer and I can always fill up the time.

16. I overcommit all my time because I really do want to do everything with everyone.

17. I cry. Easily and fairly often. Slightly more probable if I'm drunk. And I don't cry pretty.

18. I think everything to death. I will drive myself right 'round the bend, one of these days.

19. If you aren't employing me or someone I knew from before 3 years ago, you'll know I'm bi within about five seconds of meeting me. If you don't know what to do with that info, I don't care because I spent 27 years of my life with people all assuming I was straight and now that I've decided to tell people up front that I'm not, I can't seem to stop. Granted, if the world wanted to stop being so heteronormative, it wouldn't be such a problem. How about since I'm not going to work on this one, the rest of you out there do it for me, huh?

20. I don't like talking on the phone the way I don't like going to the gym - it's the anticipation of doing it that is usually the problem. Once I'm on and chattering, I am happy as a pig in shit. However, I tend not to call people because I am a shy, nervous person (yes, in spite of the fact that I am happy to regale people with tales of my sex life and exploding vibrators) and having to call someone up still makes me feel a bit... weird. Antsy.

21. I'm uncoordinated. I can fall over while standing still and sober.

22. I can lose something in about ten seconds because I am incredibly forgetful and put stuff down at random. If the lost thing is my glasses, I will then have to search by patting around with my hands.

3 comments:

Mind Set said...

I like this list. I see so much of you in this. Yet scarily, I see so much of me in this list.

Unknown said...

If it is determined that a debt management program is the appropriate plan of action for your situation, the credit counselor will develop a payment schedule with each of your unsecured creditors, in an attempt to lower the total amount 
Unsecured Debt Settlement

Anonymous said...

Debt Free Life is the key to your Financial Freedom. Debt Free Life is one of the most experienced Debt Settlement companies in the country. If you are accepted into our Debt Elimination program and follow our simple but comprehensive Debt Negotiation program steps, YOU WILL SUCCEED
Debt Settlement