Monday, December 31, 2007

Goodbye, 2007

1. What did you do in 2007 that you'd never done before?

Hahahaha. I've already been asked this one. The Hong Kong incident. Got divorced (I think, anyway!) Taught kindergarten.


2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

No and Yes. It's not the keeping of the resolutions that is necessarily important, I think, but the making of them. The taking stock.

4. What countries did you visit?

Thailand, Hong Kong, Canada, North Korea, The Philippines.

5. What would you like to have in 2008 that you lacked in 2007?

More of all the good things, less of all the bad, I guess.

6. What dates from 2007 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

April 10th - I left Heritage, thank fuck!
May 18th - Surprise arrival back in Canada.
August 10th - Back in Korea once more.
December 14th - All my loose ends were finally tied up!

7. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

Tying up those loose ends, perhaps.

8. What was your biggest failure?

Perhaps being so stressed by the Korea/Hong Kong decision.

9. Did you suffer illness or injury?

Nothing terrible. Did a transatlantic flight with a messed up ankle, did some North Korean hiking with pneumonia.


10. What was the best thing you bought?

It wasn't what Oprah recommended ;) I'm not sure I've bought anything all that fabulous this year.

11. Whose behavior merited celebration? Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?

Many people's merited celebration. I find that sometimes the most surprising people will do fantastic things. Based on some info I recently found out, my ex is on the appalled list.


14. Where did most of your money go?

Vacations!!! Clothes. Having fun in general.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?

Hiking in North Korea. Seeing my nieces.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? happier or perhaps about the same
b) thinner or fatter? maybe about the same - I'm not sure, to be honest.
c) richer or poorer? Hmmmm. Again, perhaps about the same.

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?

Exercise. Travelling. Decisive getting-stuff-done.

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?

I'm not sure I regret too much from the past year. Maybe the odd drunken moment, but nothing in particular.

20. How did you spend Christmas?

Brian, Samarra and I went to see the Golden Compass, wandered around iPark, went to dinner at Geckos and then had drinks with people at Queen. Oh, and I got to talk to my adorable nieces :)

21. Did you fall in love in 2007?

Hahahahaha. No!

23. What was your favorite TV program?

Grey's Anatomy, I think, though I am now equally into Private Practice. I've been watching the first season of Lost recently and been impressed since about halfway through. Flight of the Conchords is hysterical. Oh, and I finally got around to watching Buffy - it was really good.

24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?

No. I don't hate anyone at all right now, though there are certainly those I don't care for.

25. What was the best book you read?

"The Boy Who Loved Anne Frank" by Ellen Feldman. It was maybe the best power read - one of those I-can't-put-it-down novels.
"Eva" by Peter Dickinson was the best children's book and it was a reread from the Poly library.
"Oscar and Lucinda" by Peter Carey for the best I-should-have-known-but-didn't ending.
“The Friar and the Cipher” by Lawrence & Nancy Goldstone for best historical non-fiction.
“Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ’s Childhood Pal” by Christopher Moore was the funniest.
“The Brooklyn Follies” by Paul Auster for introducing me to my newest fav author.
"Lucky" by Alice Sebold for the best sad book.
"A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of A Boy Soldier" by Ishmael Beah for the most gut-wrenching emotional response.
"Eat, Pray, Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert for personal resonance.

26. What was your greatest musical discovery?

Not sure. I love "Smile" by Lily Allen, and the new Alicia Keys album is pretty damn cool. Tons of stuff, really.

27. What did you want and get? What did you want and not get?

I didn't get a job I wanted, though I suspect that worked out for the best, particularly from a financial point of view. I wanted a new wardrobe and I got that.


29. What was your favorite film of this year?

The Golden Compass, I think. I don't actually see many films, in the cinema or out of it.

31.What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?

A year long trip around Asia, with the magic ability to pop back in on the family for a couple of days at will.

33. What kept you sane?

Who says I managed to stay sane? My coworkers, perhaps, when I was back in my old job. My friends. Lots of navel gazing.

38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2007?

When travelling, follow the noise.

39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.

No comments: