Friday, December 04, 2009

Update

Every once in awhile, I look at the right side of my blog and freak the fuck out. 602 days 5 hours and 46 minutes left in the 101 in 1001 challenge?!? Ahhh!

Reinstated
6. Fail! Maintain the book ban (no books without trade-in credit) with 5 slips. (15/5)
So, this kept me in check a short while, but if I was to take pictures of my bookcases (yes, there are two) you'd all be right to mock me endlessly. I do read a lot but I also own a lot of books. Perhaps more than I can read in the next year. Granted, many of them, maybe even most, were bought secondhand for about $5, but still.

Done!
2. Read 101 books. (124/101)
Obviously I set this goal waaaaay too low. I'm going to add another 101 to it.

Subject to Debate, Normal, Payback, From Dead to Worse, All Together Dead, My Side of the Story, Definitely Dead, Dead as a Doornail, Dead to the World, Devil Bones, Dork Whore, The Great Influenza, Playing with Fire, the Last of the Red Hot Vampires, Fire Me Up, You Slay Me, Crouching Vampire Hidden Fang, The End of Faith, Travels in West Africa, The Yiddish Policemen's Union, The Awakening, Holidays on Ice, Bait and Switch, Nickle and Dimed, Guns Germs and Steel, Renegade Hunter, American Nerd

3. Read 50 children's books. (57/50)
And this one! I'm going to throw on another 25.

The One in the Middle is the Green Kangaroo, Strawberry Girl, Ginger Pye, The Very Hungry Caterpillar, Polar Bear Polar Bear What do You Hear?, Gorilla, Piggybook, The Case of Hermie the Missing Hamster, Midnight Magic, The Secret Birthday Message, Drummer Hoff

5. Spend 30 days reading out of the house for at least one hour. (36/30)
7. Go to a book club meeting.
12. Complete a month of posts each year (NaBloPoMo or other month.) (7/3)
15. Complete Postcrossings.
19. Be able to label a map of Africa.
23. Win at any of the quiz nights.
24. Participate in a scavenger hunt.
26. Learn to play a new game (Backgammon, Bridge, etc.)
27. Play 5 board games. (5/5)
28. Learn how to do Suduku. And how to spell it.
32. Do something creative - paint a picture, throw a pot, etc.
51. Try a new kind of alcohol. chuck and sodja in Togo (spellings are complete guesses!
53. Eat chicken wings in a bar for the first time.
57. Eat at 25 new restaurants. (29/25) Ghana: Chinese, White ***, Cape Coast Castle, the one at our hotel, Elmina Castle Restaurant, Green Turtle, Paloma; Togo: Le Festival des Glaces; Toronto: Old York, Italian with Jas; Vancouver: Californian Mexican, all you can eat sushi.
58. Make that chocolate/whip cream dessert from when I was a kid.
59. Make popcorn on the stove.
60. Visit a new continent (South America, Australia, Antarctica, Africa.)
62. Dip my toes into two oceans/seas. (2/2) The Atlantic!
64. Visit a country from the Axis of Evil.
68. Go to a sporting event, a play/opera/ballet, a museum, and an art gallery. (4/4)
69. Take an odd form of trasportation (dog sledding, etc.) Trou-trous are odd.
76. Take the subway to or from work once a week. (44/38) Should add to this one, since I renewed the contrac for a year.
78. Buy a round for the bar.
79. Let Shawn talk me into Hashing once.
89. Buy a bathing suit.
92. Buy purple underwear.
95. Make one day a month internet and TV free. (37/30) I'm going to add to this one too, because it's been unintentional so far and that wasn't really the point.
97. Buy a new iPod.
99. Find a charity I believe in and donate/join a protest for a cause I believe in.
101. Wash Martha's dishes.

To Do!

4. Finish reading War and Peace.
8. Read all the magazines in my place. This is impossible, as I keep buying more.
9. Read Man Booker Prize and Pulizter Prize winning book from the year of my birth. (0/2)
10. Write a haiku.
11. Finish up all draft blog posts.
13. Learn to write my name in 5 scripts. (0/5)
14. Send 60 handwritten letters or postcards. (24/60)
16. Send Christmas cards. (1/2)
17. Send flowers at random.
18. Do something to put knowledge in, rather than spouting it out.
20. Be able to name 20 foreign leaders and their countries. (0/20)
21. Memorize a poem.
22. Stop saying THAT word (the one Martha doesn't like.)
25. Play croquet or bocce.
29. Complete a jigsaw puzzle.
30. Watch Gone With the Wind.
31. Only use candlelight for one full evening.
33. Take pictures at one of those weird photo places in Hongdae.
34. Take a photo every day for a month. (0/31)
35. Take the good camera out once a month. (26/30)
36. Complete 26 Things.
37. Send a postcard to Postsecret.
38. Color an entire coloring book.
39. Climb a tree.
40. Play with PlayDoh.
41. Rewatch the Princess Bride and reread A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. (0/2)
42. Do a cartwheel in the sun.
43. Make a snowman.
44. Go on a picnic.
45. Try making lasagna in a toaster oven.
46. Try 10 new foods. (7/10) plantains, fufu, Togolese cheese, soja (Togolese tofu)
47. Make pancakes with my nieces twice. (0/2) Not doing this when I was home was a big mistake. But then, I hope I'm home again in the next 600 days...
48. Bake a cake from scratch.
49. Make a curry dish from scratch.
50. Learn to make good cream sauce.
52. And a new kind of tea.
54. Make and decorate cupcakes.
55. Make banana bread and once again make my poor mother mail me the recipe.
56. Have a banana split party.
61. Visit 5 countries I've never been to. (2/5)
63. Visit 5 UNESCO Heritage Sites. (2/5) Cape Coast Castle, Elmina Castle
65. Go canoeing or kayaking again.
66. Participate in a winter sport that is not sledding.
67. Go zorbing/hot air ballooning/skydive or something along those lines.
70. Control one vehicle.
71. Encounter an interesting animal in its natural habitat.
72. Sleep in a tent.
73. Watch the sun set and rise. (1/2) Nearly had camera confiscated for taking a photo of a sunset in Lome.
74. Take a series of pictures of the neighbourhood I live in.
75. Finally go to the National Museum, which I pass every day, and Seoul Tower, which I can see from my window. (0/2)
77. Walk into Itaewon to get coffee at least 15 times. (7/15)
80. Explore 12 new places in Seoul - one for each month. (3/12)
81. Get a tattoo or a piercing.
82. Go to the dentist.
83. Buy a frickin' toothbrush.
84. Finish all my multivitamins.
85. Be a vegetarian for a month.
86. Be a vegan for a week.
87. Buy new glasses.
88. And sunglasses.
90. Go to bed by midnight thirty times. (25/30)
91. Start and stick to an exercise routine.
93. Pay off half my credit card.
94. Then pay off the rest.
96. Clean up iTunes.
98. Buy another external harddrive and have old harddrive fixed.
100. Get my damn hair straightened already.

No comments: