Can You Remember 20 Years Ago?
1. Which Spike Lee film ends when Mookie throws a garbage can through a window?
Do the Right Thing
2. In 1989, foreign troops finally left Cambodia. What country were the troops from?
3. What book was at the center of a huge controversy in 1989?
The Satanic Verses, Salmon Rushdie
4. What country is the CERN laboratory, where Tim Berners-Lee began work developing HTML and HTTP in 1989?
5. What happened on June 4th, 1989?
6. The Tuynhouse meetings in South Africa led eventually to the end of apartheid. Which two South African presidents did Nelson Mandela meet with? (one point each)
PW Botha, FW de Klerk
7. On April 15, 1989 95 English football fans were killed, virtually all by asphyxia, in what stadium?
8. What scientific discovery by B. Stanley Pons and Martin Fleischmann was billed as "right up there with fire, the cultivation of plants, and with electricity" but turned out to be a bust?
9. On Oct. 1, 1989 Axel and Eigil Axgil became the first gay couple to legalize their marriage. What country did that occur in? Bonus point if you can state what is special about their last name, Axgil.
Denmark; it is a combination of their surnames
10. In 1989, an art show called "The Perfect Moment" toured the United States and set off one of the fiercest episodes of America's culture wars. Because it included images of gay S&M, one museum in DC cancelled the show and the director of another was charged with obscenity. The artist had died of complications due to AIDS before the show even started. Who was the artist?