Sunday, November 24, 2013

Review: 419


419
419 by Will Ferguson

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



This took me a long time to read. It's more like a 3.5 star read.

I would have had really high expectations for this, as it won an award over Ru, a book I read and adored. But then a group of people read it just before me and reading their comments lowered my expectations a lot and I think that helped. It was a good book - interesting, about topics I'm interested in, incredibly moving at times. But, the way the book was structured didn't work for me at all - there was a whole bit at the beginning with super short chapters that just didn't make any sense yet and then at one point the story shifted and was only about one character for too long at a time. A better balance of when he told each character's story would have strengthened the book for me. I also thought the sentences, especially the dialogue, were a bit clunky at times.

Hopefully I'll come back and update this after I have a chance to look at what I highlighted on my Kindle.



View all my reviews

No comments: