Monday, September 09, 2013

Review: Still Life


Still Life
Still Life by Louise Penny

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



I don't especially read a lot of mysteries. Sure, I devoured Agatha Christie when I was younger and I got really obsessed with Ian Rankin because he wrote about Edinburgh, but in general I'm not much of a mystery person.

I adored this. One thing I noted, which I thought might be unusual, is that so much of this book concentrated on grief and how people deal with it, rather than just on the crime/criminal. And I rather liked that Nicol didn't end up getting it by the end of the novel. And I found the town meeting where the police asked the locals to teach them about something they needed to know interesting - does that actually happen?

One thing that I did note was that I'd assumed that when the series continued, it would be about Gamache, not about Three Pines, right up until I read the sample chapter of the next book. And that makes me very happy because I fell in love with Three Pines and the people there.



View all my reviews

No comments: