Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Review: The Long Walk: A Story of War and the Life That Follows


The Long Walk: A Story of War and the Life That Follows
The Long Walk: A Story of War and the Life That Follows by Brian Castner

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



There were a few parts of this book that really hit home for me, even though I will never go to war and I most certainly won't disable bombs. The running to pound down your other feelings - yeah, I get that. The brain exhaustion that comes from it having to work harder for the same simple tasks, yeah, I get that.

On top of that, I found this book fascinating because it presents us with a situation where someone got what they really, really wanted and then found that that thing had fucked them up. And that's not something people in general seem good at talking about, so it was refreshing to read a book that covered the topic. And it turns out, I find bomb stuff interesting - which was a surprise.

I seem to have headed myself into a bit of a mini-theme, what with Billy Lynn's Long Halftime walk right before and at least another book about the Iraq War coming up in the very near future. Bit bleak, bit rough, but also something I feel I really should know more about.



View all my reviews

No comments: