Thursday, July 11, 2013

Review: Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk


Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk
Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk by Ben Fountain

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



I gThis book was really, really good. There were bits about American football and I actually found them interesting. An author who can interest me in American football is a damn fine author.

Billy was an amazing character to see a book through. I kept thinking about all the really young military guys I've met here in Korea and seeing parts of them in the book.

This was funny. It was sad. It was hard to read and yet something I didn't want to stop reading, even if I had to get off the bus and go to work. It tied together American culture and the fakeness and realness in such an insightful way.

I am a bit embarrassed to admit that it took me quite a few times to figure out nina levin. I thought it was a person. Oops. Thing is, as a non-American who lives in a non-English speaking country, I could easily have missed a key news story about Nina and so I assumed just that. I didn't love the sections with the large amounts of blank space and just a few words, as pronounced, because after a few it felt a bit gimmicky, but really, that's my only criticism.

Basically, a wonderful book and one I'm glad I finally clicked on in my Kindle.



View all my reviews

No comments: