Tuesday, January 08, 2013

Review: Franny and Zooey


Franny and Zooey
Franny and Zooey by J.D. Salinger

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



"Anybody over sixteen without an ulcer's a goddam spy."

A few years ago I taught Catcher in the Rye and I hated it. Holden annoyed me from beginning to end, which I don't recall being the case when I read the book as a teen. I didn't go into this expecting to like it much, and I didn't. But I disliked it so much more than I expected.

I hated Franny. Hated everything she said, hated her problem, hated her religious bullshit. But Zooey, him I didn't mind so much. I still thought he talked a lot of bullshit, but it didn't annoy me quite as much as the Franny/Holden style.

The thing with the mother and Zooey having a 50 page conversation in the bathroom just kinda weirds me out. And wow, did people smoke a lot in every conceivable location.

Funniest part: ""That's the spirit! Make it chicken broth or nothing. That's putting the ole foot down. If she's determined to have a nervous breakdown, the least we can do is see that she doesn't have it in peace."



View all my reviews

No comments: