Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Review: The Postmistress


The Postmistress
The Postmistress by Sarah Blake

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



I didn't really take in, when I picked this book up, that I was once again going to be reading a novel set right before America enters WWII, just as in A Separate Peace. It's a fairly fascinating time to look at. The themes of loneliness and access to information were interesting. I found Frankie's story the most interesting - her reporting of the Blitz, but especially the train ride. Emma's character seemed to function largely to illustrate the need to have someone to care about you, to focus their attention on you which made Frankie's realization that she couldn't get the whole story, that families were left without the knowledge of the fates of their loved ones.

This book left me heartbroken, thinking about all those families out there, separated by the confused flight from danger to refuge or through death. This story, though set in the past, has so much to say about the present. All those children out there, lacking that attention focused on them through war, famine, AIDS. It's late and I'm not putting this well, but I think it's worth the read.



View all my reviews

No comments: