Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Dialogue? Who Needs Dialogue?

Tonight I meant to be productive and instead I watched two movies and uploaded a bunch of pics to Facebook.

First I watched 2001: A Space Odyssey. Tim lent me the entire series of books (they are amongst his favourite books) and once I read them, I decided to watch the movies: 2001, 2010 and Wall-E (since it references 2001, Tim tells me.)
Amanda: ‎2001 is making space travel look very, very boring.
Amanda: And the food looks horrible.
Chris: and the computers want to kill you
Amanda: Christ, I'd want to kill myself. This movie is only 2:20 and halfway through it feels like I've been watching it for months. There's been nothing but heavy breathing for the last 15 minutes.
Jenni: It's a weird, weird film! I seem to remember a lot of heavy breathing, monkeys?!! And a manic computer. I still don't know what the hell it was all about!
Overall, it was an odd experience. It certainly depicts the inevitable boredom that would result from a long space journey with a small crew. I think that stylistically it was impressive and the soundtrack was great. The lack of talking just makes Hal's voice creepier when he does talk. I'm really glad I had read the books before seeing this - and I really liked them. They reminded me of the sci-fi reading I did back when I was a teenager. Not a lot of character development or symbolism, all pure plot and the wonder of what might be. I liked 2001 and 2010. I wasn't too impressed with the first half of 2061 when they visit Halley's Comet, but the second part was interesting. And I thought 3001 was a good ending to the series.

Tim sent me this link that explains the movie.

The second movie I watched was the documentary Babies. OMG the cuteness. Sure, it's a fascinating look into other cultures and a great illustration of how experience is both universal and unique for the four babies in the film. However, mostly it's super cute babies doing super cute things. Sometimes with super cute animals in the background.

No comments: