Sunday, May 12, 2013

Review: Hear the Wind Sing


Hear the Wind Sing
Hear the Wind Sing by Haruki Murakami

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



I read/heard/made up in a dream that Murakami would prefer no one read his first two books. But lately, for really no reason I can pin down, I've gotten interested in the idea of reading books by authors in order -written or published, I haven't obsessed about the details- and until now hadn't done anything with that idea.

Until I found myself bag-sitting while everyone else was running the NQR hash, under a train bridge at night with a podium someone rescued from the trash and a chair I borrowed from a hut-ajoshi, at night under a single street lamp and this is what I decided to click on in my kindle. And in spite of what I expected, considering Murakami's lack of love for this short novel, I quite enjoyed it. It had a lot of his elements: a cat, a slightly misformed character, descriptions of simple meals, music, and a sense of extreme, profound loneliness and the struggle to connect.

I won't start on them right away, but I look forward to the other three Rat books.



View all my reviews

No comments: