Saturday, October 13, 2012

Review: Embraced By The Light


Embraced By The Light
Embraced By The Light by Betty J. Eadie

My rating: 1 of 5 stars



A friend went out of her way to give me this book. For all that I admit to be slightly annoyed that someone who knew I was an atheist would give me a book about Jesus, I felt compelled to read it since she ordered it for me (and lets be honest, it's short.)

It annoyed me from the start. The acknowledgements where she thanks her husband for eating tv dinners while she wrote, the forward written by a doctor stressing a need for a return to spirituality, that the author had gone through native American boarding schools designed to eliminate a certain sort of spirituality.

Ultimately it just came across to me as silly. It's all the best things that the author could imagine, put in a magical world. To start with, her imagination is pretty dull if that's her idea of utopia. It was like reading someone's account of heir alien abduction, or like reading some sort of sci-fi. Flatland and Gulliver's Travells both came to mind as I flew through it. A lot of it was very good-hearted, with all its talk of love and kindness, but it was mixed in with so much silly that I had a hard time taking even the ideas I agreed with seriously.

One good thing will come out of reading this. I'll message the friend who gave it to me. If nothing else, her love and kindness towards me is deeply touching and it's been far too long since we've spoken.



View all my reviews

No comments: